Welcome to our website. Stampincat.com will be a blog dedicated to saving you money. We will do this by providing posts and guides on how to get discounts and coupons on the items you buy. The site will be eclectic, covering a wide variety of topics. In addition, we are friendly and invite you to contact us if you have any feedback or questions about the site.
With all that said, let’s get started. Since this is our very first post on the site, we thought we’d start out by providing you with a handy discount shopping guide. Whether you’re doing your shopping online or offline, there are plenty of ways to save cash. Let’s cover offline shopping first.
Discount Offline Shopping
As much as possible I try to purchase items online before buying them from brick and mortar shops. This is because I’ve noticed, from experience, that you typically get a much better deal by purchasing on the Internet. In some cases, you can avoid paying sales tax as well.
But there are still going to be plenty of things you’ll have to buy by going to physical stores. The following are some ways I save money when shopping at local stores.
- I always look for coupons. For local shopping, pay attention to coupons you receive in the mail. Valpak is my favorite at the moment, but there are plenty of others that you should be receiving on a regular basis in your mailbox. You can also search for coupons online. Many merchants offer coupons on their website, which you can print and take with you in order to receive your discount.
- Buy used. We are all in the habit of getting new items, but for many products, you can easily find a used item that is just as good. Things I always buy used are cars, some furniture (such as book shelves), and books and CDs. Garage sales and Goodwill are great places to find quality used items.
- Join warehouse clubs. Costco and Sam’s Club are two of the more popular warehouse clubs. Not only will you pay less for the items you buy, you will also be buying in bulk, which usually gets you much better deals.
- Buy generic products. I’ve said it many times in the past and I’ll say it again. Generic products are usually just as good as brand alternatives. Get in the habit of buying generic, and you’ll save hundreds of dollars each year. You won’t find generic alternatives to everything you buy, but when you do, I recommend always buying generic.
Discount Online Shopping
As mentioned earlier, I always prefer to buy online if at all possible. In almost all cases, I am able to get a lower price on the Internet. I encourage everyone to therefore do as much of their shopping online as possible.
Here are my tips for getting the best deals when you purchase products online:
- Hunt for online coupons. You should keep an eye on coupon sites like Groupon to find deals. Also, check for coupons on sites like Retailmenot before you make an on line purchase. You’ll be surprised to discover that in most cases, you will be able to find a coupon for something you are purchasing online.
- Always compare prices. There are a couple different ways you can go about comparing prices. The easiest way is to use a shopping comparison site like Nextag. But I know from experience that this doesn’t always give you a merchant with the lowest price. So it’s also a good idea to have some of your favorite discount shops bookmarked, and check with those stores as well. Make sure you factor in shipping costs, so that you’re comparing apples to apples. Incidentally, you can get shopping comparison apps, which allow you to make comparisons while you are away from your home or office. Read this article to find out some of the best apps for this purpose.
- Purchase in bulk. For many products, such as printer ink or vitamins, you tend to get better prices if you buy large quantities. In many cases, larger orders will allow you to qualify for free shipping as well. Buying in bulk is therefore almost always in your best interest. Obviously, if your buying a large quantity of perishable items, you’ll want to pay attention to expiration dates and make sure you don’t order too much.
- Buy used. Online, there are tons of things that you can purchase used. Some of the best things you can buy used are books, CDs, movies, and video games. Amazon has quite a few used sellers for such products. Ebay is also a good alternative. And lastly, there are many websites like Glyde that are dedicated to selling you quality used goods.
In the coming months and years, we will be providing many more posts on specific ways to save money. But these general guidelines should get you started on the road to living more economically.
We also recommend checking out this video on bargain shopping: